Thursday, April 19, 2012

Seriously Japan???

While reading through a blog I read regularly - The Everywhereist - who actually does post articles almost religiously without becoming boorish or annoying - I found a link to a BBC article.  A VERY disturbing article in my opinion.  From the brilliant minds of some Japanese farmer-scientists, it is with great trepidation and fear for the natural order of the world that I share with you....

wait for it...

wait for it...

wait for it...



This picture was unabashedly pilfered directly from this BBC Article

Square watermelons!?!?!?!?!?!?  Can you believe it?????

I can't.

Not only are these the strangest looking, weird, alien-like things I have seen in a long while, apparently they're not even that difficult to grow.  According to the article (which you can find here), to grow these "fruits," which are clearly straight out of Bizarro, one only need place a glass, square shaped dome over the fruit while it grows, and in a few weeks, Presto! you have square watermelons.  Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they're not genetically mutated to grow as squares - but the ease of the concept makes me wonder when we'll start having the ability to buy watermelons shaped like rock stars heads.  When that happens, I'll probably lose my distrust for the odd shaped, so-called fruit and make a bee line straight for the Steven Tyler shaped melons.  At that point, watermelons will no longer be called watermelons, they'll be re-named to water"mug"ons and you'll be able to get them in shapes of heads of all kinds of people...and if you're really rich, you probably can have a water"mug"on made of yourself and your family.

The future's looking pretty sweet now, huh???

No comments:

Post a Comment