Thursday, March 8, 2012

Tweedle Do...

"Painting the roses red
We're painting the roses red
Oh, pardon me
But Mister Three
Why must you paint them red?
*talking*
Huh? Oh! Well, the fact is, Miss
We planted the white roses by mistake
And...
*singing*
The Queen she likes 'em red
If she saw white instead
She'd raise a fuss
And each of us
Would quickly lose his head
[Alice:Goodness!]
Since this is the part we dread
We're painting the roses red"

Every once in a while the song from Alice in Wonderland (yes, the animated Disney version) gets stuck in my head.  It's usually when someone I know is doing something senseless and silly - probably because as a child I was able to grasp that the card-people painting the roses to make someone happier was an inane waste of time.  (And, yes, before you ask, I WAS a very gifted and insightful child, thank you very much!) 

Of course, the threat of losing your head over the color of a rose also seemed inane.  And the queen never scared me as a child.  (Although I've seen the movie recently, and I think she should have scared me.  Which makes me wonder about the type of monsters I must have grown up with - but I digress.)

Today, nobody is doing anything more senseless and silly than usual, but this song is stuck like glue inside my brain.  There must be just enough inane activity all around me to have my subconscious pop this little treat of a song into my head on repeat mode. 

Maybe if I go down the rabbit hole, I'll end up in a new place where everything makes sense again.

Or maybe I'd just end up at the bottom of a rabbit hole.  

Which would annoy the crap out of me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment